Meeting Minutes >> August 2005 Minutes
August 2005 Minutes

NCAPI Meeting Minutes

August 20 2005

Ashville

 

Welcome  - 

 

Monty welcomed everyone to the meeting and thanked the membership for coming. He identified that we do require all cell phones to be either turned off or on mute. If you do need to take a call, please take the call outside the room. He identified Ted will be running a little late. He also identified Thalia had experienced a slight concussion earlier in the week and was not expected to come to the meeting.

 

 

Ethics & By-Laws  - Larry Flannery

  

Larry wanted to remind us that if we find out about unlicensed activity, please Larry so that he can file a complaint on behalf of the association. He identified we have forwarded 3 cases to the PPSB.

However, contact us with any unlicensed activity and we will report it show your information will not appear on the complaint. It is harder to go after an association than an individual.

 

A member wanted to know if we can put complaints on the website. It was discussed and decided it would be a problem due to legality. The complaints are not decisions. They have not been proven.

 

Motion to accept.

Seconded.

Accepted.

 

 

Treasurer’s Report  - Marti Miller

 

Marti identified we have the following in our accounts:
$     808.30   Pac Fund

$  3,505.00   Lobbyist Fund

$20,272.12   Checking

$24,585.42   Total

 

Marti identified that Christine had made an additional $400.00 that is not in the totals.

 

Motion to accept.

Seconded.

Accepted.

 

 

Secretary’s Report  - Christine Covington

  

Christine apologized for the delays in updates. The website has been more troublesome than normal.
 
Christine also identified that some of the delay in getting certificates out to some or our new members has been because the office supply store no longer carries our certificates. This issue has since been rectified.

It has been brought to my attention that I have not sent our a newsletter in a little bit. She will work to correct that oversight.

Christine identified that she will be sending another invitation to those members who have not yet joined the newsgroup. Please take the time to accept the invitation. It takes much more effort and time that you realize to go back and research who is and is not on the newsgroup.

Motion to accept.

Seconded.

Accepted.

 

 

Legal & Legislative  - John McGee

 

John discussed the fact that the 74C Rewrite is still in play. There should be a meeting about the 2nd week on September.

John states the PPSB seems to be willing to listen to our concerns and recommendations.

The discussion about Bond vs. Insurance came up again. Monty identified that South Carolina requires a $10,000 bond for 2 years for approximately $79.00.

Russ identified that it should not be up to the PPSB to determine what we need, bond or insurance. It should be up to the individual owner to determine their exposure and need.

Russ also identified that we have no ability to purchase the statutory minimum designated by the PPSB and 74C.

  

The General Liability Insurance we carry does not indemnify the PPSB. A bond could be endorsed to the PPSB.

 

Motion to Accept.

Seconded.

Accepted.

 

 

Past President – Ruth Reynolds

 

Ruth discussed some information for Thalia.

They had been working on getting together a seminar. The location has been decided.

 

Ramada Inn

Albert Pick Road

Greensboro, NC

 

They will be honoring the government rate for us.

 

12-13 September.

 

We will be having 2 speakers.

 

Brad Butler for Charlotte will be discussing what an attorney expects from Private Investigators and discussing privacy issues.

 

Dale Callen is a retired postal inspector and will discuss identity theft.

 

The speakers will exchange their times. The one that speaks in the morning 12 September will speak in the afternoon on the 13 September. That way you can come to the seminar and only lose half days instead of a full day.

 

It was discussed that we are still looking to be reimbursed by the PPSB for seminars. The Recovery Fund is still sufficiently funded to reimburse us for the seminars.

 

Mr. McDarris is still working on trying to get our money back from the Governor to reconstitute the Recovery Fund.


Hayden wanted to know if we can try to get the PPSB to agree to allow us to have the same 30 day time period that the security guard to “test” an Associate. Monty advised Hayden to write up his suggestion and forward it.

 

HB 1431 – Ruth identified that this bill almost passed. NAPPS President flew in to sit with a lobbyist. This bill was to authorize service of process under Law 4 with electronic signature.

 

The law was too open ended.

 

The verbiage has been changed. The old verbiage would have been easy to move to fax or even email.

 

Ruth wanted us to contact your local representatives about the use of sheriff’s to serve process. Let’s see if we can find a way to get some of the paper for us.

 

It was brought up that we CANNOT SERVE – Summary of Ejectment.

 

A NC Attorney must send any paper to the Sheriff’s department first before we can serve it. Rule 4.

 

Suggestion - Ruth has identified that she has the attorney send one copy of the originals to the sheriff’s office. Then have the attorney send a duplicate copy of the originals to you. Wait 5 days and then serve.

 

Motion to Accept.

Seconded.

Accepted.

 

Membership - Ted Gartman

 

Our current membership is 196, plus 10 Associate/ Staff Memberships. We also have 7 new members.

Credentials – Bubba Russo is still working with the PPSB to get the new credentials.

 

Brandon Perron – has agreed to allow the use of his text for development on continuing education.

 

Motion to Accept.

Seconded.

Accepted.

 

Presidents Report  - Monty Clark

 

Monty wanted to bring up that we are coming up to the end of the year.

 

He brought up that he would not be seeking the Presidency next year.

 

We will need to work on getting a committee for nominees for offices next year.

 

Christine will send out an email to solicit nominations for board positions.

 

74C – Monty again requested that any suggestions for the rewrite be forwarded to the board.

 

We will update members withal critical issues currently under discussion.

 

Monty wanted to take a moment with Marti Miller well. She will be moving to Tennessee and leaving the board. She will be missed.

 

Both Bill Fletcher and Ruth Reynolds have agreed to take over as Treasurer. Both are very capable of performing the duties.

 

Ruth withdrew and Bill Fletcher became the acting Treasurer of the NCAPI.

 

 

New Business

 

Russ brought up the Lobbyist fund. He still suggests we pay an Executive director. It was suggested he put the suggestion in writing and forward to the board.

 

Breakfast meetings – it was discussed that the restarting of breakfast meetings would be a way to get a bigger participation for all PI’s. We could call all PI’s in the local area and invite them, members and nonmembers. This will be an opportunity to discuss industry issues.

 

Lobbyist fund – an email will be sent to all members who paid into the Lobbyist fund and offer to either refund the money or move to the PAC fund or the newly created Legislative Action fund.

 

We will also send and email to the members who did not pay into the Lobbyist fund and solicit donations to the new Legislative Action Fund.

 

There was a suggestion to start paying for the board members hotel room. We will look into that as a Constitution change. A draft will be emailed to the membership for review prior to any vote.

 

Motion to Adjourn.

Seconded.

Adjourned.

 


Steve Siske ............................... A.S.I.
Cyndy Gunther ........................... Tarheel Investigations
Jay Teddy ..................................Jay Teddy, PI
Audra Coleman ...........................Cameo Investigations
Barbara Brown ...........................Cameo Investigations
Matthew Steele...........................McGee Investigations
Jeff Kiker....................................Kiker Investigations
Frank Kiker ................................Kiker Investigations
Pam Nave ..................................Tarheel Investigations
Russ Thomas .............................Thomas Assoc.
Jack Fanning ..............................Carolinas Investigative 
Harley Sanders ...........................Professional Invest.
Fred McKinney ...........................Southeastern Invest.
Debbie Welborn .........................Carolina Investigations
Hayden Church ..........................Track'um PI
Rex M. Lilly ................................Allied Protection & Inv.
Monty Clark ...............................Clark & Assoc.
Bill Fletcher ...............................Fletcher Investigations
Debbie LeCroy ..........................Carolina Private Inv.
John McGee ..............................McGee Investigations
Ted Gartman ..............................N'Focus Investigations
Christine Covington ....................Blake Investigations
Marti Miller .................................A-1 Services
Ruth Reynolds ...........................Reynolds Professional
Larry Flannery ...........................Scott & Assoc.

 

 
[ Meeting Minutes ]   |   [ Items for Sale ]   |   [ Member Discounts ]   |   [ Home ]   |   [ Search for a NC PI ]
[ Members of the NCAPI ]   |   [ NCAPI Principal Members ]   |   [ Affiliate Members ]   |   [ Student Members ]   |   [ Staff Investigator Members ]
[ Members Only ]   |   [ Business Associate Members ]   |   [ NCAPI Application ]   |   [ NCAPI Calendar ]   |   [ Newsletters ]
[ Report Unlicensed Activity ]   |   [ NCAPI Board ]   |   [ NC PPSB Members ]   |   [ NCAPI Vendor Links ]   |   [ Professional Links ]
[ 2007 Renewal Application Form ]   |   [ Code of Ethics ]   |   [ Constitution ]   |   [ By-Laws ]   |   [ Contact Us ]

NCAPI
PO Box 18585
Charlotte, NC 28218-0585
Phone: 800-297-4023

clarkpi@carolina.rr.com

SiteWizard ObtainYourName Search Engine Dogs AAA Family Websites web site design custom charlotte